On the evening of December 24th, 2009, our most beloved cat Elvis went to sleep for the last time. We are so lucky to have had so many years with him, especially the years since he was diagnosed with diabetes. We continuously asked ourselves whether his quality of life justified the twice-a-day insulin shots, his regular trips to the vet and the "bad nights" where he would go into a shock as his wasting body struggled to establish equilibrium. Without hesitation our answer had always been yes. During the past six months however, he seemed to be suffering a little bit more, moving less confidently and spending more time on his own in the boy's bathroom. On Christmas eve his body really started to shut down. We rushed him to the Animal 911 in Skokie, and with the assistance of the compassionate professionals there, Laura and I said farewell. I would like to say it was a very difficult decision, but it wasn't.
OVERT POLITICAL STATEMENT HERE: Please support local organizations and citizens that prevent cruelty to animals and ALWAYS ADOPT!!
Sian soon completed her under-graduate degree and her life took her away to Ottawa for her next degree, so Elvis remained in Edmonton with me. When the time came for me to move on, the bond that Elvis and I formed left no question where he would go. After a brief separation while I got settled in Chicago, he followed me. My mother told me that the sedative she was given by the vet to calm him for the flight did not even last the drive from Edmonton to Calgary where he was put on a flight to Chicago; he complained the entire trip.The employees at the freight office where he spent the better part of a day confirmed he did not stop crying the entire time he was there. Elvis miserable meows only stopped once he entered his new home.
Over his years in Chicago Elvis loyally followed me around to each of my Chicago residences, sharing me with the people that entered and exited my life. At each residence I faithfully constructed a cat door attached to a ramp and he agreed to come home safely each morning and leave mice and other small animals in my shoes and work bags. While Elvis forged emotional connections with my friends and lovers, I struggled to figure out who I was and what I wanted, but since 1991 Elvis was the one constant in my life.
A list of our homes together and some of the moments he shared...
- 71st Ave, Edmonton - with Sian, Turk and later Gareth
- Walks to the 7-11 in Edmonton.
- Hide-and-go-seek in the 71st Avenue house Sian and I, and later Gareth shared.
- Greenview, Chicago #1 - Sara, Elvis and I stayed here a year and I cut a hole in the wire fence behind the building that allowed him to explore the neighbors' yards.
- Lazy summer afternoons sleeping together on the couch with the Cubs on TV.
- Park Ave, Highland Park - with Sally and Zephyr.
- Greenview, Chicago #2 - on our own for a couple of years, where we boarded a large chocolate lab named Jack for a few weeks. Elvis did not seem to mind.
- Hampden Court, Chicago - with Tony and Haley.
- Protecting Tony from his printer while they spent the work days together at Hampden Court.
- Damen Ave, Chicago - Boo joined us here.
- Elvis used to meet me by my car when I got home from work in the afternoon after crossing a busy Chicago street.
- Cullom Ave, Chicago - with Mary and Boo, Lexington joined us here
- Walks with Mary, Boo and Lexington in the park along the North Branch of the Chicago River while living on Cullom.
- Claremont Ave, Chicago - with Boo and Lexington, Eva and Laura joined us here
- With Eva, licking the lid of the rum raisin ice cream container, and reading the paper
- Barbecues and garden time with Laura at Claremont.
- Bacon Sundays, wherever we found ourselves.
On the 17th of January, Laura and I returned from our trip to Australia. Boo and Lexington were both well but the apartment seemed very empty, my constant was no more. On the first sunny, warm spring day Laura, Eva and I will carefully spread his ashes at some of his favorite spots in Chicago. For all of those who Elvis touched we will convey your respect and affection.



No comments:
Post a Comment